BARONESS (LADY) [OR] MRS VON (DE) ROEMER

 

  OWNERS OF LIME PARK MANOR IN HERSTMONCEUX - PAST AND PRESENT

Please use our A-Z INDEX to navigate this site or return HOME

 

 

 

 

MANOR HOUSE - Lime Park benefited by a large manor house, a stables, market garden, wells, and electricity from a generating station in the grounds - that also sold power to the nearby village of Herstmonceux.

 

 

 

 

 

In the little village of Herstmonceux, there lived a very amenable German couple, the Baron Karl von Roemer and Baroness (Mrs or Lady) von Roemer, who had an exceptionally brilliant son called Charles de Roemer. For political reasons, the Baroness appears to have changed her surname to 'de Roemer,' and dropped the 'von,' to as it were anglicize her family, after World War One and the death of her husband. The Baroness adopted the name Lady, or was simply known as Mrs de Roemer. According to Margaret Pollard (nee Green, nicknamed Peggy), the daughter of chauffeur William Green (nicknamed Ernie).

 

The British Royal Family also effect a name change to disguise the German blood in their veins. The name Saxe-Coburg-Gotha came into the British Royal Family in 1840 with the marriage of Queen Victoria to Prince Albert, son of Ernst, Duke of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha. Queen Victoria herself was the last monarch of the House of Hanover.

The House of Windsor as we know it today began in 1917 when the family changed its name from the German “Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.” Queen Elizabeth's grandfather, King George V, was the first 'Windsor' monarch. Today's working royals are the descendants of King George and his wife, Queen Mary.

 

Conscious of the latent resentment, the Roemer's quite often treated the locals. Such as an event where the hedges were cut and swept for about half a mile, with a big party afterwards - for those participating.

 

Famous visitors to Lime Park included Lord & Lady Gage, Lord & Lady Hailsham, and Lord & Lady Shawcross.

 

The Baroness's son and daughter in law, Charles and Audrey, had four children: Benita (born 1920), Martin (born 1923), Boyce (born 1925) and Anthony (born 1926). We don't know of any children from their siblings, but the odds are high that there are living descendants in the world today. If they would care to make contact with Lime Park Heritage Trust, to help fill in the gaps in history  they are willing to share, that would be much appreciated.

 

The death of Baroness (Mrs) de Roemer signaled the end of an era and any connection between her descendants and Lime Park.


 

 

 

 

GENERATION GAP - Lime Park is now more famous for the work of Charles de Roemer, who brought electricity to Herstmonceux via the development of his Generating Station, in the most efficient form, powered by a 39 horsepower National, gas engine, as seen in the picture above. While Barness von Roemer was alive, guests to the Park included: Lady and Lord Gage from Firle Place, Lady and Lord Shawcross (famous for the Nazi war trials) from East Dean, and Lady and Lord Hailsham (first wife). 

 

 

 

LINKS & REFERENCE

 

https://

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

UNIQUE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY - Perhaps not the most attractive of buildings, as it has fallen into a state of disrepair. This is mainly because Wealden District Council have done all they can to deny the building a reasonable and beneficial use, to pay for restorations, up to 2022. The Parish Council have been working with the district council on this. That is why the most important historic asset in Herstmonceux does not have an income for maintenance and general repairs. Conversely, the site, including other buildings in the Park, may one day qualify for listing as a UNESCO world heritage site.

 

 

 

 

Please use our A-Z to navigate this site or return HOME